Tunisia is a small country that offers a lot in terms of sites and experiences. Just like any new destination, it can be hard to know how to plan and structure your visit. Everyone’s tour style is unique. Some people like to see and do the most they can during their visit to a country. Others like to see fewer sites and to take things slow. It depends on your unique needs and desires.
Consider these 3 styles for traveling in Tunisia:
Style #1: The Classic Tour Style for Travel in Tunisia
The classic way to tour Tunisia is to stay 1 or 2 nights in each location, traveling to a new location every day or every other day. Most travelers start their tour in Tunis in the north, and work their way south towards the Sahara. You can see and do a lot in Tunisia when you tour this way.
Consider this style if:
- You like to see and do as much as you can when you travel
- You have a list of “must-see” places that are in different regions of Tunisia
- You have a week or more to tour Tunisia
Reasons you might not enjoy the classic tour style:
- Repacking and checking in to multiple hotels can be tiring
- Tours like this can feel like a whirlwind for some people
- You may feel like you don’t have time to “take in” what you’re seeing and experiencing
The classic style of touring has a lot of advantages, but it depends on what you want to get out of your time in Tunisia.
Click here to see our Classic Tunisia tour itinerary, which follows this tour style.
Style #2: The Day Trip Tour Style for Travel in Tunisia
Another popular way to tour Tunisia is to choose 1 or 2 locations as a base to explore nearby sites and activities. This style is great if you prefer a more relaxed pace. It can also be a practical way to arrange your itinerary if you’re staying in Tunisia for less than one week.
Some great day trip tour bases are:
- Nabeul or Hammamet
Consider the day trip style if:
- You prefer a more relaxed pace when you travel
- You don’t enjoy repacking multiple times during a trip
- You don’t enjoy lots of driving in a short amount of time
- You like getting to know the shops, restaurants, people and places around your hotel location
Reasons the day trip style might not be for you:
- You have specific sites you want to visit in different regions of Tunisia that require lots of driving
- You like seeing as much of a country as possible during your tour
Our Taste of Tunisia tour with a culinary focus has a day trip style that allows you to connect deeper with the sights and people of Tunis and Sousse.
Style #3: Relax At the Beach With An Added-On Excursion for Travel in Tunisia
If you want to hang out at the beach and relax during your vacation in Tunisia, there are a variety of resorts where you can book a hotel and have access to beautiful beaches, good food, and a relaxing environment.
A 2-4 day excursion from your resort can add a lot to your visit to Tunisia. You’ll experience and see parts of the country that are very different from the resort areas. In southern Tunisia, for example, there’s some breathtaking landscape and Roman ruins. The traditional culture is also a world away from the resorts.
Our 3-day Splendid South tour would work great as an excursion from your resort.
Helpful Questions To Assess Your Tour Style For Tunisia
Finally, some questions to help you assess what tour style would be best for you in Tunisia are:
- Do you prefer a fast or relaxed pace when you travel?
- How much time do you want to spend in a vehicle per day, on average?
- How many nights do you like to spend in the same hotel before moving on?
- Are you interested in spending time in the Sahara? This is a helpful question because the Sahara desert is a 6-hour drive from Sousse, and 8 hours from Tunis. If you’re interested in the desert, it’s certainly worth the drive. But if you’re not so interested, you can do and see a lot in the north instead of taking the long drive south.
- Is your main priority for your holiday to rest and relax? Consider staying at a hotel in Hammamet, Sousse, Mahdia, or Djerba and doing an interesting excursion for 2-3 days.
Your Travel Style in Tunisia
SmarterTravel notes “well-laid travel plans are an integral component of any successful trip.” Thinking through what tour style is best for you and those you’re traveling with is a great starting point for your visit to Tunisia. Figuring out your priorities and personal style will lay the foundation for your tour. No matter what your style is, Tunisia has to plenty to offer everyone!
So what’s your preferred tour style? Fill out our custom tour form to tell us about your tour style and what you’d find interesting on a Tunisia tour. We’ll be happy to craft a custom itinerary and quote for you, no strings attached!